Skip to main content

I'm Deepak Ravlani, and This Is How I Work


Like so many heroes of the startup world, I started early after college. Now, with years of experience in Technology behind me, it has become a lot easier to polish my workflow and get lots of stuff done. Let's talk about my workspace setup, go-to apps, best life hacks, favorite gadgets and tunes. In my free time, I work on a few side projects, including Blogging and managing several communities over Google+. Since launching in Dec 2012, +Project Glass community has become one of the fastest growing community. With  more than 2500(and counting) users and a thriving community of Glass fans, needless to say, the past few months have been crazy for me. Last time I went through this, it was 2008. I was using different apps, but did have sort of productivity system that really helped me get things done. In last few years, I've picked up a few tips and tricks along the way and I've been making some small changes here and there as I get more comfortable with my flow, So this time, I'm sharing more-refined workflow with you.

Here's the lowdown on how I work now. And more importantly, how do I do it all and remain so curious and inspired?


Current gig: Blogger @ Words From Web Worker; Community Manager @ Project Glass by Google
Current computer: Custom built Desktop PC with 17" LG display for day-to-day work. Dell Inspiron 15" for mobility. Powered by Jarvis.
Current mobile deviceGoogle Nexus, running CyanogenMod 10.1. I also have a HP TouchPad rocking CyanogenMod 10.1 and 3rd-gen Apple iPod Touch that's starting to feel a little slow.
One word that best describes how you work: Curiously(and visually)



What apps/software/tools can't you live without?

I've tried all kinds of tools over the years, and I'm constantly looking for ways to improve. Since, I'm on the web most of the time. Chrome is my primary browser, since it works so well on +Android and syncs between devices. As someone who flips through dozens of blogs/hundreds of articles a day, for productivity and learning, I wouldn't be able to do my reading well without Google Reader and social media trend analysis without Hootsuite. I pretty much live in Google Reader—even after all these years, it's still the best.  I use Reader and +Google+(the social platform I'm most active on) for keeping up to date with news. And other +Google's webapps for most of my stuff (GmailCalendarDriveGoogle VoiceMusic).

After a brief stint with Microsoft Onenote and closing of Google Notebook. I've settled on Evernote for storing all my notes and Google Tasks for my to-dos. Evernote is like a junk drawer for my digital life. I use +Evernote for storing all my notes, random ideas, photos, voice memos, clips from the Internet, important articles from Google Reader, typed and handwritten notes - and it makes everything searchable, synced and accessible across all of my devices. The uses are really limitless. Record a sound bite at a conference on your phone and listen to it later on your work PC. Jot down some inspiration on your tablet on the couch, then finish the thought later on your PC. Take a photo of a business card or handwritten Post-it note, then - with OCR handwriting recognition - search its contents at a later time. Also, I absolutely love automating with If This Then That.


+HootSuite is an amazing app for handling all of my social media, at one place. The app allows for scheduled publishing for optimum times, reading to all of social networks - Twitter, Facebook, +YouTube, Google+(waiting for this one) - from one interface. I've streams setup for monitoring my personal brand on social networks, track users, trends and keywords across different platforms and more. HootSuite is like a dashboard for me looking to get analysis of my social media efforts.

I also use +Mindjet—a glorious, customizable, mindmapping software. I love mind maps in general.

On my +Nexus, I can't imagine going without Google Goggles, Maps, Music and Nova Launcher Prime. I'm also a avid reader, so Google Currents and Reader both get a lot of use.
Pictured above: Deepak's Nexus homescreen.

What's your best time-saving shortcut / life hack?

I follow Inbox Zero for email.

Use Phraseexpress to automate a lot of tedious typing, for IM and emails.

Automating - I try to avoid doing anything twice. If I find myself doing something over and over, I figure out a way to automate it with If This Then That in digital life and lifehacks help in real world.

Use swipe actions on my Nexus, and use Objectdock Plus on desktop to do just about anything else. The less typing or clicking it takes to get something done, the better.
David Allen's Getting Things Done(GTD), as a framework, makes sense for me. The way each person applies it, is personal. But, the main concept is crucial: getting everything out of your head so it stops distracting your mind. It is a principle I live by.

Ever since I came across this image (left) a few years ago, I've tried to let it guide my work philosophy.

I'll admit to doing a not so great overall, but I have managed to work a couple of these practices into my professional life.

Another big change, I made was turning off push notifications for email IM/Social networking on my Nexus. Whatever I've lost in low touch interaction I've more than made up for in distraction free work. Being constantly available and responding to emails immediately is a neat trick, but it's a poor substitute for actual productivity. If you know me well enough to have my phone number and are comfortable enough to call/text me, you've earned the right to interrupt me. Otherwise, the time I spend away from my computer is time that needn't be riddled with a constant stream of notifications promoting a false sense of urgency. It's made that time more valuable.

What's your favorite to-do list manager?

Right now I'm using Google Tasks. I like it because it's simple and quick to jot down to-dos, check them off, and keep moving. I tried a lot of things in the past (like RTMCohumanDo.comAsana), but going back to basics has been the first thing that really worked for me. Anything that's time-sensitive goes on Google Calendar so it can bug me as needed. I use Workflowy for process lists or any other kind of lists.
I've looked at all kinds of to-do apps, but there are none that have really grabbed me so far. I'm still holding out hope that the folks at Google will put something cool together in Google Tasks, or I'll have to fall back on Asana.

What's your workspace like?

Okay, so I don't have a two-monitor setup and sound-blocking headphones. I tried, I swear, but it didn't work out. I'm a bit more of a minimalist. I'm constantly trying to eliminate clutter in my life, so you won't find much on my desk beyond my computer, phone, and headphones. I'm a die hard PC user use a custom-built Windows 7 PC, 17" LG monitor, and a pair of Creative desktop speakers.
Keyboard: Samsung Trution TKB 3000. Love the media keys that allow me to control media, email, and one button press to Hibernate my PC.
The desk itself is just a big, corner desk bought at some office store years ago. The sections are large enough to hold two big monitors and deep enough that there's plenty of space behind them. Also office chair—probably the most important purchase made for workspace but when you sit in front of a screen for work and play, you need a good chair.

What do you listen to while you work?

Mostly, nothing but the wind. I spend good amount of my time reading and analyzing and other stuff that I like to do in silence. At other times, it really depends on what I'm doing. I like everything from Pop rock, Sufi, Rock based ballads, Indipop, Indian rock/fusion to romantic bollywood songs. I've a pretty good personal music collection, use Windows Media Player to organize my library and sync my phone, but I mostly use Google Play Music to actually listen to music, because sometimes it's nice to just pick how you're feeling and have it queue up a nice long playlist.

Besides your phone and computer, what gadget can't you live without?

TouchPad. At the end of the day, If all you want to do is have a laid back experience of going through social media or general reading. Tablet form factor is the best way to go for it.

What's your sleep routine like?

I'm a night owl, although have always tried to be an early bird too. My PC time used to be quite unpredictable but I keep much more normal hours now, and always try to get six to seven hours of sleep.

Are you more of an introvert or an extrovert?

I'm both. Straight down the middle. I like working with people, love being with family and friends, and also love my time alone. I think it's a misconception that introverts don't like being with people and extroverts don't like being alone. It's more about how you recharge yourself. As much as I enjoy being with people, being alone is where I get my charge.

What everyday thing are you better at than anyone else?

I try to eliminate clutter in all forms: belongings, apps, processes, friend lists, etc. I think it's important to eliminate the distractions in your life to zero, in order to have more time to think about 'what matters'. Also, I'm good at listening to people's ideas and helping them figure out how to make them even better or combine them with other ideas to create something fresh.

Pictured above: Deepak's Reading Trends, since 2005 on Google Reader.

What's the best advice you've ever received?

There are few of these actually, but my favorite piece of advice probably wasn't intended for me directly, but I like to pretend that it was.

"There is no limit to what you can learn, If you don't mind who gets the credit." it resonates with me every day.

"Enthusiasm is one of the most powerful engines of success. When you do a thing, do it with all your might. Put your whole soul into it. Stamp it with your own personality. Be active, energetic, enthusiastic and faithful, and you will accomplish your objective. Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson 



Adopt a "Growth Mindset" - Carol Dweck
A "growth mindset" is a belief you can get better at stuff rather than abilities being fixed. For example, the belief "I can get better at computing." There is lots of research showing that people with a growth mindset experience more success. Recognize that you often don't need to be outstanding at everything. Improving can still be very beneficial.

Engagement is the Difference Between the Bright and Dark Side of Workaholism
Put simply, a little bit of meaningless work is a lot worse for you than a great deal of meaningful work. Work is just like a relationship: Spending one week on a job you hate is as dreadful as spending a week with a person you don't like. But when you find the right job, or the right person, no amount of time is enough. Do what you love and you will love what you do, which will also make you love working harder and longer. And if you don't love what you are doing right now, you should try something else—it is never too late for a career change. The only way to be truly successful is to follow your passions, find your mission, and learn how to embrace the work-life imbalance. The desire and interest trump even the worst boring things in the world.

Is there anyone you'd like to see answer these same questions?

+Seth Godin, he's one of my favorite idol. Also, I'd be particularly interested to see how people in the Android rooting community do what they do. I'm just fascinated by people that are able to do all this work in their spare time and have jobs.

Is there anything else you'd like to add/share that might be interesting to readers/fans?

I'm definitely a "less is more" type of person when it comes to hoarding, clutter, and general problem solving. I'm what you might call an anti-hoarder—. I think my choices reflect that philosophy as well. I do my best to eliminate the unnecessary. This is how you can focus on what you have and enjoy it in true sense.

Want to know more? Connect with me on Google Plus +Deepak Ravlani or Twitter @dravlani.

This post was influenced by the How I work series of Lifehacker. The How I Work series asks heroes, experts, brilliant, and flat-out productive people to share their shortcuts, workspaces, routines, gadgets, apps, tips, and tricks that keep them going.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Will Automation make human work obsolete?

Will Automation make human work obsolete? Robots now build cars and power mechanical diggers and other "dumb" jobs. What will surprise you is how quickly "mechanical minds" are making human brain labor less in demand. Still think robots can’t do your job? Automation and robotics will eventually take over most of the tasks, especially the labor expensive ones, as computing gets smarter. Talk of robots making humans obsolete is generally a topic that is still laughed off as science fiction by most, but this video could get you to rethink the future human work. It lays out a compelling case for why almost half of those currently in the work force could struggle to find work once automation takes over in the near future. Unlike "the singularity," in which artificial intelligence takes over the planet in rapid and dramatic fashion, this paints a picture, backed up by statistics and current developments, indicating that the true singularity will occur gradually,

The Science of Willpower

How willpower is often misunderstood, and what we each can do to improve it? It’s the third week in Jan. and at about this time, that resolution that seemed so reasonable a week ago — go to the gym every other day, read a book a week — is starting to seem very hard. As you are teetering on the edge of abandoning it all together Kelly McGonigal wants you to know that you’re not having a hard time sticking to a resolution because you are a terrible person. Perhaps you’ve just formulated the wrong resolution. People come up with resolutions that don’t reflect what matters most to them, and that makes them almost guaranteed to fail. Willpower is the ability to do what matters most, even when it’s difficult or when some part of you doesn’t want to. That begins to capture why it’s so difficult — because everything we think of as requiring willpower is usually a competition between two conflicting selves. There’s a part of you who is looking to the long-term and thinking about certain goa

The new coming wave of automation is blind to the color of your collar

The new coming wave of automation is blind to the color of your collar Kaplan said that in the next decade or two, driverless cars could put many of the more than three million licensed professional drivers around the country out of work. While automation long ago revolutionized the assembly line, advances in big data computing power could soon downsize the traditional white collar workforce as well. "Even what you think of as advanced professions that require a great deal of specialization and expertise, the vast majority of the work is routine, and it's those routine tasks which can be now taken over by computers, so that what used to take the work of 20 lawyers may be done by five lawyers, or 20 doctors may be done by five doctors," Kaplan said. Maybe even journalists. Now computers are creeping into the reporting field. At The Associated Press, approximately 4,000 corporate earning stories are being written by computers. The AP uses a program called Wordsmith, created

Roko mat Toko mat

Bachpan se bada koi school nahi, curiosity se badi koi teacher nahi. There is no greater school than childhood and no greater teacher than curiosity. Parle G (the largest selling brand of biscuits in the world) asks parents to encourage their child's curiosity and creativity in its campaign called 'Kal ke genius'. While the song has an '80s feel, it is the soul of the film and is written, sung and composed very well. The song aptly encapsulates the philosophy of the campaign. It is urging people to let their kids be just kids and let them explore if they are curious. Parle-G 's Glucose biscuits always evoke a sense of nostalgia. The ad in a nice way talks about the increasing parental control and societal pressures that make kids these days spend more time in study classes than learning through exploring new things. Curiosity is actually the best teacher. Unfortunately, it is just the kind of a thing which parents often discourage. In fact, we keep stopping ch

How automating feedback with AI powered conversations can aid decision making in real-time

How automating feedback with AI powered conversations can aid decision making in real-time All systems need feedback to learn, improve and course correct. The autopilot functionality in driverless cars is a perfect example. Sensors measure the desired speed and position of the vehicle — among other indicators — and send that data to control systems which adjust accordingly. Gathering rich, organic feedback on a continuous basis is necessary for managers and regulators to make informed decisions. Robust feedback means honoring people’s authentic voices, rather than shoehorning them into a multiple choice format. It means taking the time to find out how many others share what may be a surprising opinion (to management) or understanding of a situation. It means preserving minority opinions. It means listening well. But getting rich feedback from a population usually starts with in-depth interviews of a representative sample. Surveys are then created based on the interviews to see which id